Sponsor A Girl to Camp

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 0 comments
OBG Adventure Camps / CampCaribe 2010
In August of 2009 I wrote an article that was published on the now-defunct Oprah's Angel Network (OAN) Web site about how camp shaped my life and about how I wanted to be a part of shaping girls lives as well.  (I still have the email in my inbox sending me the news!)  As you can imagine, I was pretty disappointed when OAN was shut down and my story was no longer available for the world to see but not for the reasons you might think.  Yes, being able to legitimately use Oprah in the same sentence as my camp dreams was big and helped as I engaged with parents, but being able to go back to the site one year later, two years later, and even now as a reminder of how my dream has been realized was even bigger. 

So here we are three years later and I have had three successful (and safe!) camp programs under my belt:  Two to the United States Virgin Islands on the island of St. John and one to California's Lake Shasta.  I'm proud and grateful for my former staff, my current staff, and everything and person that is yet to come...which of course brings me to the Here and Now.

In July 2013, OBG Adventure Camps will explore another culture in another part of the world...on the island of Kauai in Hawai'i.  With room for 12 adventurers, there are currently two committed parents on payment plans and a bunch of other parents on the fence.  Because OBG Adventure Camps is a private camp that is not funded by the government, I have decided to create a scholarship program that will gift one deserving low-income girl with an all expenses paid camp experience as I continue to recruit for next summer's amazing program.

Just like the payment plan that I offer parents, I have committed to making an attempt to raise the cost of tuition for one deserving girl on a monthly basis:  $375 in May (late start), $375 in June, and then $200 a month thereafter until complete tuition is paid in full.  And while I'm not much of a fundraiser (it's SO hard), I believe in doing the things that matter most.  And for me, this matters most.  =)

Thanks for listening.  And if you'd care to help Sponsor a Girl to CampHawaii 2013, you can do so by clicking on the button below.  And hey, thank you (from the bottom of my heart) for giving this some thought...




OBG Adventure Camps is a private residential camp for girls 11-17.  Your gift is a gift and is not tax-deductible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 OBG Adventure Camps™ | TNB