Decisions Decisions

Sunday, August 12, 2012 2 comments

FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF OBG ADVENTURE CAMPS:

Parent, Supporters & Friends:

I have never considered myself a quitter although in my younger years, I was quick (like the speed of light!) to move on to the next thing if I felt so inclined.  At this stage of my life, I would like to think that I give a little more thought to things before I make changes, and I do.  In a lot of situations I'm still likely to move ahead quickly, but that's because I trust my gut.  In other situations - like the one I'm about to explain - it takes a little longer.

My dream - as many of you might know - has been to be a part of giving girls a world view and OBG Adventure Camps has meant more to me than any business I have ever started.  But it has also been The Hardest business I have ever run.  Boy oh boy.  I guess I thought that the concept of teaching girls from culturally diverse backgrounds to travel independently of their parents (think Growth) and then spend 10 days to two weeks on the waterfront getting immersed in culture and nature would be looked upon as Fantastic! Necessary! and Unique! and while it was and is looked upon in this way in theory, my biggest hurdle has been dealing with fear and lack of trust from parents.  Beyond that, when I DID find parents willing to trust me with their children (I would have to speak to at least 100 parents to get 1 camper), many didn't want to commit to put in the work to fundraise, wouldn't pay on time or even turn in health forms.  (For the record, taking a child 3,000 miles away without health records makes absolutely no sense.  And even though parents sign liability waivers, who does that?) 

In sum, I found that I was working harder for the girls than some of their parents were...which makes it a little easier for me to make this decision.  The hard part is presenting this to The Parents Who Get It.  Truth:  Most folks just aren't ready. 

It hurts my fingers to type this, but going forward, all OBG Adventure Camps waterfront camps have been cancelled ... including CampHawaii 2013.  I have decided, however, that if there is an established group of 10 girls or more that want An Experience of a Lifetime, that myself and my American Red Cross certified lifeguard staff is available to make it happen.

In the meantime, I'm considering Camp OoLaLa, an excursion to Paris for girls 13-17, but only for girls and parents that meet my minimum requirements.  This trip isn't etched in stone, but it's in the forefront of my brain and I promise to keep you posted.  I just need to re-group a little first.  I'm sure you understand.

Until next time,









aka She Who Never Gives Up


2 comments:

  • Anonymous said...

    Never give up!! I would love the opportunity but traveling with my child would be ideal. My daughters are 11 and 8 and I look forward to a trip to Paris with them.

  • Anonymous said...

    Hi Tracey,

    I love the work you do. I absolutely trust you with my daughters, hence their adventure with you two years ago. This is still a grand event that is talked about in our home. As time is waiting for no one (not even me) I am excited to know that you are contemplating Paris. This is Cydney's current life excursion. I am willing to do the WORK to get her there if you are the director/chaperone/travel guide.

    Love you,

    Tameeka

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 OBG Adventure Camps™ | TNB